Monday, November 27, 2017

North and South Essay

North and South Essay The sun rose to a beautiful crisp morning and as I sat at the breakfast table I couldn't help but compliment the fine weather. My husband and daughter entered and seated themselves, yet their dark expressions seemed to cloud the sunny sky. Cheerfully, I tried to discuss my plans for that day, what I would do, whom I would visit. I talked on, though my family gave me little encouragement. They seemed to be so self-involved, when they should be paying attention to me. Richard explained that he'd be home late, however I thought nothing of it, he often stays out, paying visits to those high in society.

I wandered up the stairs to dress myself in attire suitable for school and as I did so I began to think about Mr Lennox, a handsome, dashing young man who would make a perfect husband to a sensible young woman, particularly one like my daughter. My mind busy with these thoughts, I prepared myself to go to the school. Lightly I ran down the stairs, my mind at peace. Margaret waited at the foot of the staircase. "Mother, please take a turn about the garden with me," she pleaded in a solemn voice wrapping her arm around my waist. Eagerly I walked with her, admiring the beautiful flowers and pleasant smells.

How lovely, I thought to myself. There's really no other place like Helstone. I glanced about, complimenting our beautiful, scenic garden when Margaret turned to me. "Mamma! Papa is leaving Helstone! He's leaving the church and going to Milton-Northern! " I was taken aback by this sudden outburst. Milton-Northern? Leaving the church? What a foolish child to say such things. Richard would never leave Helstone, we love it here and Richard loves his work. Yet as I looked into her face I saw a deep worry. She believed every word she said, even if I didn't. Sitting down, I began to cry.

Surely Richard would not take such drastic measures without consulting me. But doubt lingered in my mind. I realised that my husband would prefer to discuss business matters with my daughter rather than me. I felt hurt and betrayed. Was my advice worthless? Thoughts flashed through my mind. Why was I not told about these decisions? We couldn't leave Helstone! I love Helstone. I'd made friends, I had a place in society. This was unfair to me! Realising the truth I let Margaret comfort me. My body was shaking violently as I sobbed. I didn't want to leave.

Why didn't someone listen to what I want? "He's planning on leaving Helstone in a fortnight. " I was shocked. A fortnight? But that wasn't enough time. I tried to calm myself, after all it wasn't my fault. If Richard had consulted me first none of this would be happening. He should have come to me with his doubts, with his fears. I could have helped. Margaret tried to explain that id be happier in Milton-northern, that the disgusting smoke-filled air of Milton-Northern would make me feel better. But I was appalled. I'd be associating with factory workers and living amongst filth.

Gently I reminded myself that once Richard has left the church, I would be lucky to be received in any form of society. Society in Helstone was adequate for our family, but in Milton-Northern it would be far too common. I could hear Margaret explaining that Richard chose Milton-Northern as there was a position for him as a tutor. Though why Richard couldn't teach gentlemen at Oxford, I couldn't understand. At Oxford we'd be received into good company and fine society. Yet Richard's selfishness is leading him North, he hasn't considered my feelings.

That day passed in a series of dreaded thoughts laced with tears. My mind was so muddled it didn't make any sense. Margaret did her best to help me through the day. She forced herself to be optimistic comforting me with new thoughts, ideas and hopes to replace the withered ones. I slowly realised that perhaps it would not be as terrible as I initially thought. Richard appeared, as promised at seven. He looked crestfallen, distraught, destroyed. Throwing myself into his arms I gently cried. Yet when saw the clouds in his eyes, I promised to myself that I'd try harder to be strong.

He held me for a moment then kissed my forehead. "Now Maria, you look unwell," he said, concerned for my health. "I feel fine," I lied for I felt emotionally drained. He forced a smile as he sat down. "I'm sorry I didn't consult you, but we'll be fine," he said softly, beginning the story of our future, our future in the north. Show preview only The above preview is unformatted text This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our GCSE Richard III section.

No comments:

Post a Comment